Thursday, September 16, 2010

How To... Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree

So I guess this is kind of a new feature. It will obviously only be posted when I have a "How To..." on something. Hopefully this can be helpful to y'all. I definitely know that this pumpkin puree will probably be helpful this fall. I get the feeling that there might be a pumpkin shortage again this year. If you saw my post on Facebook, I went to 4 stores with no luck on finding canned pumpkin. 2 stores actually had a spot of the shelf for the cans, but the other 2 didn't even have a spot. I mean it's the middle of September, fall is right around the corner, but we can't get pumpkin? I mean even Dunkin' Donuts is already selling their pumpkin donuts and muffins again! So for all of you who need pure pumpkin and can't find it, here is an easy way to make your own!


Pumpkin Puree

Ingredients
1 pie or sweet pumpkin
   **don't buy a large jack-o-lantern type pumpkin, it will be too stringy and tough
   **rule of thumb: one lb per cup of puree

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325. Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and stringy goop. Wrap each half in aluminum foil. Bake for one hour. 

Let the pumpkin halves cool and remove the foil. Scoop the flesh (that sounds gross doesn't it?) out of the shell and put into a food processor. Mix in the food processor until the pumpkin is a smooth puree. Voila, you have your own pumpkin puree!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment