Monday, December 13, 2010

Aunt Cindy's Chocolate Pie

This is probably one of my favorite desserts. My aunt makes it every year for Thanksgiving and since we didn't go away this year, I just had to make it for my family. I made 2 pies for 7 people and yes, every last bite was gone within 2 days of Thanksgiving.


Aunt Cindy's Chocolate Pie

Ingredients
Frozen or refridgerated pie dough or crust
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3 TBS whole milk
2 TBS granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
8 oz heavy whipping cream
2 TBS confectioners' sugar

Directions
Make the pie crust according to the package directions. **I say dough or crust because I use the pre-made crusts. I have a hard time making the edges of the dough look nice.

Combine milk, chocolate chips and granulated sugar in a large microwave safe bowl. Melt in the microwave for about a minute, checking every 30 seconds, until the chips begin to lose shape. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Let it cool until it's still fluid, but not hot.

Add the egg yokes one at a time and beat well with a mixer after each one. Add vanillla at the end and mix.

In another bowl with clean beater (I use my KitchenAid mixer for this part), beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold this into the chocolate mixture by hand. Fill the pie shell and chill. This can be made a day ahead of time.

About 30 minutes to an hour before serving, put the beaters and bowl (again I use my KitchenAid) in the freezer. If you don't have time for this that is okay, it just helps the whipping cream whip up easier. Whip the cream and confectioners' sugar together until they form stiff peaks and spread it over the pie.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment