Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Red Beans & Rice

This is probably one of my favorite recipes, but I don't make it much because of the time commitment. I mean it's not like you have to stand over the stove and watch it, but it does have to sit there for a good 2 hours. I'm certain there are ways to cut the time down, yet I wonder if you would have the same end result. It was a little spicier than usual as I think I recalled something different when adding the cayenne pepper. If you want something a little more tame, just cut the cayenne pepper to 1/4 tsp.

I'm not sure how many of you know the tradition behind this meal or even if you want to know, but I'm tell you anyway! Traditionally, Red Beans & Rice is eaten on a Monday. Why? Because it is laundry day. This is one of those meals that you can leave on the stove unattended for at least 30 minutes while you go out back to scrub the wash. Just a little bit of trivia for you.


Red Beans & Rice
adapted from multiple recipes

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Servings: 8-10

Ingredients
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped 
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
3 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Tabasco
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
8 cups water
1 pound dry small red beans
1 package smoked turkey sausage (or 1lb andouille sausage)
Hot cooked white rice

Directions
Heat the oil in a 5-7 qt dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the Holy Trinity (aka onion, bell pepper and celery). Saute until the onion and celery are translucent. Add the salt and pepper. Toss in the garlic, cook 1-2 minutes and stir frequently. Add the thyme and cayenne pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except the sausage. Turn the heat to high and let it come to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring about every half hour.

Uncover and turn heat up slightly to increase the simmering. Cook for another 30-40 minutes. Toward the end I like to use a potato masher to mush my beans and make the consistency a little thicker. I also add the sausage once I have mashed the beans.

While you are waiting for the beans to finish, start cooking your rice. Once everything is done, scoop a little rice into your bowl and cover with a generous helping of red beans. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment