Friday, September 24, 2010

Steak Diane

The first thing I said after popping a bite in my mouth was "Oh my gosh, this is as good as I remember!" It really is divine. The flavors in the sauce are so perfect. I could have probably licked my plate clean, but I seriously had to restrain myself. Even my picky hubby and my 3 year old niece liked it! As my picture of dinner looked wholly unappetizing as it was taken with my Blackberry since the camera battery was dead, I leave you with a picture of Julia.


Steak Diane
adapted from Julia Child & Company

Ingredients
3 strip steaks
soy sauce
olive oil
black pepper
5 TBS butter
1/4 cup minced shallots
1/4 minced parsley
1 cup beef stock
1 TBS dijon mustard
1 TBS cornstarch
4 TBS Brandy or Cognac
1 1/2 TBS Worcestershire

Directions
Trim out the strip steak and pound it out until it's 1/4-1/2 inches thick. Drizzle with soy sauce and olive oil and rub it in. Sprinkle with pepper. "Roll them up like a rug" says Julia. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or more. I stuck mine in the fridge for 3 hours.

You can mix the beef stock, dijon and cornstarch together and let it sit on the counter to save time later. I did this about 45 minutes before I was ready to start cooking. I also mixed together the brandy and Worcestershire at this time and set it aside.

Shallots and parsley can be done ahead of time, just remember to cover them with a damp paper towel.

Over medium high heat, melt 1 TBS butter with 1 TBS olive oil. Saute the steaks just to brown.

In the same pan, add 4 TBS butter and melt. Toss in shallots and parsley. Cook for a minute or so, until slightly translucent. Stir in stock mixture then brandy and Worcestershire.

Whisk and turn down heat to medium-low. Put steaks back in, cover and turn off the heat. Let it sit for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment