Thursday, October 21, 2010

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

This was hearty, warming and delicious. I seriously don't think I can eat canned soup again! One tip, make sure that you start sauteing the onion and celery before the carrots. The carrots don't need as much encouragement to become soft as the celery and onion. Next time, I think I am going to cook the chicken in some stock and shred it for the soup. I'm just a big fan of shredded chicken in soup for some reason.



Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
adapted from multiple recipes

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6-8

Ingredients
2 TBS butter
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 - 32 oz carton Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken Stock
16 oz carton chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces (approx. 3 breasts)
3 cups egg noodles
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the celery and onion. Cook until soft and translucent. Add in the carrots and garlic. Cook about 3-4 more minutes. 
Pour in the chicken stock and broth. Toss in the chicken, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.

Throw in the uncooked egg noodles and simmer an additional 10-15 minutes, uncovered. You want the noodles to be soft, but not mushy. Add salt and pepper according to your tastes. I think I added about an 1/8 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp Kosher salt. I didn't really measure the salt, just sprinkled it in!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment