Thursday, October 7, 2010

Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken & Veggies

Sadly, I don't have a picture of my perfect little roasted chicken. As soon as I tried to take it out of the crockpot it fell apart. The chicken was good, but you definitely need to get the seasoning under the skin. I also put my veggies at the bottom with some chicken stock and they were tasty, but scary looking as they had turned kind of brown from the stock. Time called for me to do a crockpot meal, but next time I might just roast the darn thing.


Roasted Chicken & Veggies 
adapted from AllRecipes

Ingredients
2-5 lb whole chicken (I chose 5 so that we would have leftovers)
3 TBS butter, softened
Salt 
Pepper
Salt-free all purpose seasoning
Onion
Whole carrots
Celery
Potatoes
Baby carrots

Directions
Rinse the chicken off. Rub him down with a little butter all over. The butter will harden as you rub him since he is cold. In the cavity, place 2-3 tops of the celery (like the part with the leaves), 1/4-1/2 of an onion and a carrot (unpeeled is fine) that has been quartered. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and all purpose seasoning. Obviously these are just what I like, you can pick any spices you want!

In the bottom of the crockpot, put some peeled and quartered potatoes and baby carrots. If you want to leave these out to cook later, wad up three sheets of aluminum foil into 3-4" balls and place in the bottom of the crockpot. Place the chicken on top of these.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment