Saturday, October 23, 2010

Slow Cooker Apple Butter

This was pretty good. I personally thought it was a little sweet and had too much clove. I was eating it right out of the jar and not putting on toast or a biscuit so that might have made a difference. My sister-in-law thought it was delicious. I would probably take the sugar down to 3 cups and reduce the clove to 1/2 tsp. I would even consider eliminating the clove all together and adding another 1/2 tsp of allspice.


Slow Cooker Apple Butter

Prep Time: 1 hour 
Cook Time: 12-16 hours
Makes: 11  1/2 pints

Ingredients
50 oz jar unsweetened apple sauce
3 lbs apples (I used Granny Smith)
4 cups sugar
1 cup apple juice or cider (I used juice, but I might try cider next time)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice

Directions
Peel, core and cut apples into chips. Put all the ingredients into the crockpot and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8-10 hours (best if done overnight). Remove cover and cook on high heat for 4-5 more hours. 

2 tests:
1. If you can stand a wooden spoon upright in the apple butter, then it's probably ready.
2. Spoon a small amount onto a plate. Look for a small rim of liquid around the edge of the butter. If it's there, cook for a little while longer. If not, it's ready!

Now you can just pop it in the fridge if you think you are going to eat all of it within a week. Otherwise, you are ready for canning. If you are unfamiliar with this process, check out Home Canning 101.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday I caught a whiff of apple butter from my neighbors kitchen.I wanted to make some myself and reading your blog convinced me to make it soon.I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget at the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete