Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chicken & Potato Cakes

Okay so I found this recipe on Myrecipes.com and I thought this is sounded yummy if I just traded the pancake batter for self-rising cornmeal. I had a few issues with this recipe. First, I thought it was bland. Second, I was not fond of the gravy. It smelled and tasted weird. Now with that being said, my sister-in-law, husband and 3 year old niece loved the cakes and the gravy! It must be a southern thing.

I would definitely make them again, but I might consult with my mom to see if she has any suggestions to "fix" them. I am thinking maybe paprika? It definitely needs something. Feel free to experiment. I will repost if I ever mess with them again.


Chicken & Potato Cakes with Gravy
adapted from MyRecipes.com

Ingredients
2  cups  self-rising cornmeal
2  cups  milk
2  cups  shredded cooked chicken
1 1/2  cups  (6 oz.) shredded colby-Jack cheese blend
1  cup  refrigerated shredded hash browns
4  green onions, finely chopped
2  tablespoons  butter, melted
1/2  teaspoon  Kosher salt
1/4  teaspoon  pepper

Directions
Mix together cornmeal and milk in a large bowl. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients, stirring just until blended.

Take a handful of the mixture and form about 4-5" flat patties. Cook on a hot (350°), lightly greased griddle or large nonstick skillet for about 5 minutes or until the bottom is golden. Flip and cook another 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with the gravy below.


Quick Gravy

Ingredients
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup water
1 pkg Knorr's Roasted Chicken Gravy mix
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 TBS heavy cream

Directions
Bring wine to a boil over medium heat in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 1 minute. Add water; whisk in gravy mix and pepper. Increase heat to medium, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 3 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in cream.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment