Thursday, July 22, 2010

Homemade Chicken Tenders

Oh my these were delicious! They were so crispy and juicy. I do think that they could use a little more seasoning so I will be experimenting with stuff the next time around. They were so easy to do too. They aren't the healthiest thing, but I tried to cut back on trans fats and such by using a combination of canola and vegetable oil. I will never buy frozen chicken tenders again!


Homemade Chicken Tenders
adapted from Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
1 package chicken breast tenders or strips
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp seasoning salt 
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Vegetable & canola oil

Directions
Soak chicken in 1-1 1/4 cups buttermilk for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. 

In bowl combine about 1 1/2 cups flour, cayenne pepper and seasoning salt. Mix this together well. Next, add about 1/4 cup of buttermilk into the flour mixture and stir lightly with a fork as you add it. 

Heat about one inch of oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. 

Remove the strips from the buttermilk and roll them in the flour mixture. Place 3-4 strips (depending on the size of your skillet) into the hot oil. Cook until golden and crispy, turning half way through. Remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love these! I always use Lawry's Seasoning Salt, I also don't measure it. I just add it until I think it's enough and add tons of fresh black pepper. I think that makes a big difference in the taste for me.

    ReplyDelete