Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday Favorites

I thought that I would start a new feature - Friday Favorites! I will be posting my favorites whether it's kitchen tools, products, recipes, etc. 

Today I am leaving you with a recipe that is a childhood favorite. My mom made it often in the summer and it's so delicious! I even have a funny story about it - so my mom was out of town for work. Dad decided he was going to make it. I think we helped with the vegetable cutting and all that. Now you need to understand, when my mom makes something up she doesn't write it down so my dad was trying to make this from memory, bless his heart. Well he got a little crazy with the garlic and put waaaaayyyyy too much in. There was so much garlic in it that it was spicy! We told him that it was delicious and tried to eat it. It was seriously garlicky! So I have fond memories of this and I hope you love it, too!

PS - It doesn't really have a name so I just call it Summer Squash and Corn Succotash.


Summer Squash and Corn Succotash
from my Mom

Ingredients
1 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow squash
Half of a medium yellow or Vidalia onion
1/2 - can of corn or 1 ear fresh corn
1 tsp minced garlic
Salt and pepper
1/2 TBS olive oil 
1/2 to 1 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
Cut the squash and zucchini into halves or quarters, depending on the size of your veggie. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Thinly slice the onion into strips. Heat your EVOO in a saute pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the squash, zucchini and onion. Cook until translucent. Add your garlic and corn. Saute for another 3-5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Turn heat to low and add the cheese. Let it melt and stir it into the veggie mix. 

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment