So the other night I had a bunch of uneaten very ripe bananas and I thought some banana nut bread would be delish! I had all the ingredients except the nuts so I picked those up that afternoon. I made the dough and put it into my loaf pan. I used the exact same size pan that was recommended in the recipe, yet it seemed a little full. I thought "Oh well it will be fine, it shouldn't puff up too much!"
30 minutes later it starts to smell like something is burning so I check out the oven. The bread has exploded over the edge and has dripped on the floor of the oven. Oops! So I grab a baking sheet and put it under the bread pan hoping to prevent more drips. 10 minutes later the burning smell gets worse. I go to check it out and this is what I see...
AHHHHH!!! Help, honey there is a FIRE in the OVEN!
I grab the extinguisher, but hubby says that he will take care of it. At this point he looks over at me and says "See Morgan, this is why you are NOT allowed to bake!"
How is it that I can cook with no problems, but when I bake something inevitably goes wrong?
Beyond this snafu, the bread was actually very yummy and did not taste like smoke. Next time, I would want to add chocolate chips and possibly use a bigger pan.
Banana Nut Bread
adapted from AllRecipes
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup mashed bananas
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. <-- I might suggest a larger loaf pan?
I like using my KitchenAid for this part. In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, stir into the butter mixture until smooth. Finally, fold in the sour cream, walnuts and bananas. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.