Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cincinnati (Skyline) Chili

Okay so I will say that this recipe comes from my mom and I know that it works. I tried to half it and it didn't work so much. I got a little distracted when I was putting in the chili powder so I'm not sure if I added 1/2 TBS too much or what. 

Now the great debate with Cincinnati-style chili recipes is chocolate or no chocolate. My mom says no chocolate, but if you taste it and feel like it's missing something then you could probably add 1/2 oz of unsweetened chocolate, something like Baker's. One square is an ounce and it's scored so that you can easily divide it to get 1/2 an ounce.

For those unfamiliar with Cincinnati-style chili, it's more like a sauce then actual "chili". I do not advise you to put it in a bowl to eat like other chili recipes! It's traditionally served over spaghetti with cheese (3-way) or over hot dogs on a bun with cheese (Cheese Coney). You can also add kidney beans, onions or both - 4-way for just one or 5-way if you add both.


Cincinnati (Skyline) Chili

Ingredients
2 lb ground beef
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 TBS vinegar
8 oz tomato sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
4 TBS chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TBS Worcestershire
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp paprika
5 bay leaves
1 qt water

Directions
Put the water into a pot and add the meat breaking it up until it's fine. I just did it with my hands. Simmer until the meat is done - by the time it starts simmering it will most likely be done - about 5-10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 2-3 hours. Serve over spaghetti or hot dogs with finely shredded mild cheddar cheese.

This can easily be frozen for future meals!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment